3/11/09

What's Cookin' for St. Patty's Day?

Top O' The Mornin' to ya!

I have had a house full of sick kids lately so I'm all about the easy slow cooker recipes this week. Love my Crock Pot!

Here is what's going into my Crock Pot for St. Patty's Day:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients:
one 4 lb. corned beef brisket
6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
2 onions, cut into quarters
1 bottle strong beer
3 whole cloves
1 tsp peppercorns
1 Tbsp brown sugar
water
1 small cabbage, cut into wedges

Glaze (optional):
1/2 c orange marmalade
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Directions:
1. In Crock Pot, combine potatoes, carrots and onions. Add corned beef, beer, cloves, peppercorns and brown sugar. Pour in enough water to cover meat and veggies.

2. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12 hours (recommended). Remove meat from liquid and place on baking sheet. Transfer veggies to a platter and keep warm.

3. Pour cooking liquid into a large pot. Secure cabbage wedges with toothpicks and add to liquid. Over medium high heat, bring to boil: reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.

4. Glaze: Preheat broiler. In a bowl, combine marmalade, mustard and brown sugar. Spoon over corned beef and place under broiler. Broil for 2 minutes.

5. Thinly slice beef against the grain and place on platter with veggies. Add cabbage wedges and serve with additional mustard.

I haven't had the chance to do any creating with scrapbooking or cards or anything so I've been getting my creative groove on in the kitchen!

I hope you try this! It's easy and very yummy. Don't forget the green beer!

Love,
~L
♥♥♥

3 comments:

Kim Ross said...

YUM yum yum!! I love corned beef & cabbage, and we're going to have to try your recipe this year! :)

Anonymous said...

Lori....

I have a great soda bread recipe to go with corned beef! Let me know if you want it. My husband's grandmother brought it with her from Ireland!

Peace,

Meghan

Michelle ~ said...

this is my favO'rite way to cook cornbeef. I use a lager beer for tenderizer! and absolutely follow it with carrOt cake!!! yummo.