1/30/08

reorganizing...

I have recently taken on the daunting task of reorganizing and purging my scrap room. I love to be organized, but I am overwhelmed by the task. Instead of looking at the big picture I am trying to take it step by step. Last night I organized just my ribbon. This task took a whole bottle of red wine to accomplish! Good Lord! I never need to buy another piece of ribbon for the rest of my life! From now on, I will try to go by the "one in, one out" rule when shopping. If I bring something in, I must get rid of something.

I really need to organize my whole house but I'm starting with my scrap room because it is the most fun. I will post pictures when I am done! My biggest problem is my severe case of Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder! I keep getting distracted! I need to focus and stay on task. I read a blog the other day about this and I was cracking up because I could so relate! (I can't remember where but I have to find it and share it with you!)

Too much stuff and too much clutter causes too much STRESS, don't you think?

Please leave a comment and share with me your very best organizing tips. I could use a few on staying focused as well! Thanks!

William Morris said:

“Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

Love that quote. I will try harder to live by it! Now back to work!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, just the topic of organizing makes my heart go pitter patter!!! LOL.

There are SO MANY ideas that it is hard for me to narrow it to only one but I will try...

This one idea came from a simplifier I worked with about a year ago and I LOVE it so much in helping me stay on top of paperwork, clutter, piles, school notes, etc. etc. etc. :

Tickler System. (And, the best thing is you can bring out your scrapbooking supplies in order to complete this!!!) The basic idea is taking manilla folders and label them 1-31 and then another dozen for each month of the year. Put them in a place near your central calendar, etc. THe idea here is that instead of paperwork piling up you give it a home. For instance, let's say I stumble onto swim lessons that start up in May. But, what the hell do I do with the paperwork in January? I slip the paperwork into the folder that says "May". I have teacher gift ideas in my "May" folder; Halloween ideas in "October"; etc. I use the daily ones like this: if a paper needs to be returned to school, signed or whatever, by a certain day, I put it in a folder the day before it is due. It can also be used as an action system. Everyday you get into the habit of opening the folder and doing what is in there...be it a bill to pay, something to file, a phone call, a paper to sign to return to school, etc.

OK, was that totally confusing???! I use a tickler system all the time for my family life and I also use one for my writing tasks as well. It is fabulous!!! :)

Hope that helps...let me know if you need any assistance with this big project of yours...I'd love to help!

Anonymous said...

Lori darlin.....
Give it up....drink some more wine....and punt!...LOL
No actually....since I live in such an "up and coming" place and there is soooooo much to do around here...like shovel snow and dig out in the snow and watch the snow and pray for NO SNOW....I have completely "spring cleaned" already......it is wonderful and I am "maintaining" now which is a lot easier. But as for the "scrap room"...well darlink.....I have organized mine so many times...and it still remains like a bomb has went off....LOL
I'm like you...I won't need any brads, ribbons or card stock for a long, long time...LOL
Huggers dear one and I will let you know....when I am coming....
Stay warm....hugs those boyz.....
Jann

Anonymous said...

Really the only tip I can offer right now is to say... one step at a time... take a break when you need to and go back with a fresh perspective. Lastly... remember it will take time... organizing is a never ending task... but oh so satisfying.

Courtney said...

Lori! I haven't looked at your blog in FOREVER! I am so very sorry. But I am excited to here that you are going to be teaching at ICE, Heather, Nancy and Tracy are all good friends of mine. I have known them since I was in high school. I'm sure you will enjoy working with them.

Sorry I can't give you any organization advice, except maybe a match? That's what I think I would like to use sometimes!

Squirrel & Button said...

Good luck Lori! I am in the middle of doing this also. I keep thinking I will get my whole house done at some point. :-) Right now I am trying to get rid of magazines (tear out the pages I want to keep and put in a binder). Then I need to organize all the cards I ever kept...not sure why I kept some of them. LOL